- Guidebooks (the Bible or the Bernac)
- Rituals that are odd to an uninitiated observer (whether reciting prayers as a group or beginning a lesson by hissing like a snake and making motorboat lip-buzz noises)
- Deities and heroes (Jesus, Pavarotti or Kristin Chenoweth)
- High dress codes (church has always been that way and so have voice teachers).
- Standard repertoire (Hymns or the 24 Italian Hits)
- Lectures on sins (lying and cheating or slouching and jaw tension)
- Ultimate destinations (heaven, hell, the Met or Broadway)
Or you can stick with the devil you know.