Wednesday, June 2, 2010

JRB Randomness

I played a lot of Jason Robert Brown last semester, both 'Songs for a New World' and 'The Last Five Years' (The Last Five Years was the most fun I've had doing a show). For research I watched a lot of his stuff on Youtube, and in addition to discovering I now have a huge crush on Norbert Leo Butz, I found something that made me smile. Its an old video of a teenage JRB playing and singing. If you know his stuff, you'll recognize the song they're playing, although the lyrics are different.

I've also been listening to 'Wearing someone Else's Clothes' a lot lately. I wish the score were available (I discount the anthology - its incomplete) - probably it'd be a good transcribing challenge. It's all great, but I really like the song
I Could Be in Love With Someone Like You. The song was supposed to be in the Last Five Years, but it was replaced by Shiksa Goddess after his ex sued him.

He's also got a
blog, if you are interested.


No comments: