Friday, November 5, 2010

How Far We've Come . . .

'Collaborative piano' is a field that has made huge strides in the last 20 years. It's become so acknowledged that I tend to blink when I find articles from the past like Concert Notes: Rehearsal Pianist Steps Out (written in 1990). It's an interview of Judith Jackson, a principal pianist for Chicago Opera Theatre, and has comments like:
"Jackson is not one to apologize for her chosen field. "I know a lot of pianists who think accompanying and operatic work are boring and limiting, in terms of their own creativity. But I find it very challenging--and I really love it!...."
"Jackson is an accompanist, and proud of it."
Then there's Gerald Moore's book, "The Unashamed Accompanist".


I'd like to suggest yet another title: "The Employed Pianist".

No comments: