Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Freelance Musician's Life

I'm in a lull right now, work-wise, which gives me time to (well, actually write something, but in addition) enjoy the silence, so to speak. I started the year with a nice schedule and actual days off.  

Then I took on another MT show (with lots of rehearsal hours) and juries came. Rehearsals kept me out late every night of the week, and I was driving all over the place. I had to juggle my schedule a lot, sometimes hiring subs for one job so I could go do another. It all left me
 feeling something like this:




As far as freelancing goes, this is the norm: waves of work followed by dead spots. Lots of driving. Finding subs. Scheduling, scheduling, scheduling. 


So I'm enjoying the fact that I don't need to be anywhere right now.  I get to exploit my other interests, like cooking . . . which I did this evening. Tonight I attempted Kung Pao Chicken again - a dish I still haven't perfected*. It wasn't bad, but it still isn't 'right'.  Sigh.

I know things'll pick up soon. In the meantime, I'm catching up on Fringe.    


* The cooking oil pumped out noxious fumes that chased my husband from the room (he managed to cough out a rough, "Smells good," as he closed the door).


No comments: