Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Little Things

Ever have a song put in front of you that you know - and you know you can play it beautifully except for two measures? There are a few songs that for some reason my brain always freezes at a certain point and I need to go over it again (slowly, a couple of times) before I can execute them with confidence. 

The tunes that leap to mind:

Duke's 'Loveliest of Trees' - at one point in undergrad I had the transition memorized, practically.  These days, not so much.




Strauss's Zueignung - you know the section.



I love this section of Chanson Triste, but I hate sightreading it. 



With Quilter's Love's Philosophy I'm fine until I get to the end. That's where my LH shrugs at me:



I'd love to hear thoughts on other tunes that people find blink-worthy in a sightreading situation.  Feel free to add on ideas.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't remember which, but one of the more obscure editions of the Brahms E-flat Clarinet Sonata starts on the right-side page, and then puts the famously difficult piano solo bars right at the top of the second page. It's like opening a Christmas present and finding a cobra inside.

~J