#1) No One Mourns the Wicked - I like the PV score better for this one.
- VS version RH lacks whole notes in opening four measures found in PV
- VS version LH is different than PV score in measures 5, 7 12, 14 etc, since I find BOTH LH versions akward, I like PV because it sounds more like the recording
- VS version RH sometimes "doctored" (m 4-7, for example) so that the melody is doubled more often than found in PV score - maybe trying to make the sound fuller to compensate for a soloist singing an ensemble's part? Not sure which I like better for a soloist
- VS version RH often has 3 ledger lines - PV score just puts it in bass clef (too many ledger lines = bad)
- VS version adds some music to replace all the dialogue is just m 4-10 with different words - then it modulates to C
#3) What is This Feeling? - The duet version (VS) lacks the opening 'letter writing' bit and the ensemble echoing "Loathing, etc." Other than that the two scores are the same. Vocal selections preferred.
#4) Dancing Through Life - This song has some inconsistencies between the two scores. Prefer the PV score.
- VS version has typos in measures 17 and 19 - for some reason there are B naturals which aren't in the PV score, nor could I hear B naturals on the CD
- VS version LH measure 18 has F's instead of D's (as heard on CD)
- VS version is missing a chord on the first beat of m 23
- VS version "dancing through life, swaying and sweeping" lacks some rhythmic chords found in the PV version . . . . . . The differences go on.
- VS version is missing the LH skipping on the eighth notes in m. 31 (I'll help you be), m. 33 (You'll hang with the) - but then they put them in on the 2nd time around . . . weird
#6) I'm Not That Girl - exactly the same. Prefer the vocal selections.
#7) One Short Day
- VS opening and middle sections is understandably altered for a solo version
- PV score goes to 2/4 for some reason . . . VS stays in 4/4
#8) Defying Gravity
- VS is missing the opening "Something has changed within me" bits and skips to right before Elphaba begins singing
- VS is a solo version that changes the lyrics of the middle bit (instead of 'Together we're unlimited' it says 'My future is')
- VS transposes the 'My future is' middle bit from A major to Gb major
- VS changes lyrics 'Just you and I. . . defying gravity' to 'Up in the sky . . . etc' and changes key from Bb minor to G# minor
- Somehow the VS ends up in the same key as the PV score
#9) I Couldn't Be Happier - PV score has this labeled "Thank Goodness, Part III." Other than that - the same. Prefer the vocal selections.
Will finish soon -